Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County is seeking partner families to join their growing community of new homeowners. HFHNCC invites interested families to join them at one of their five English homeownership seminars or three Spanish-language seminars to be held throughout this year. At the seminars, interested families and individuals will learn about first-time homeownership and how Habitat’s program works to get qualified families into affordable housing. Locations, dates, and times are listed below, and for additional information, interested families can visit www.habitatncc.org or call (302) 652-0365 ext. 120. Dates, times and locations:
- Saturday, February 16 at Cranston Heights Fire Company from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Address: 3306 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington, DE 19808
- Saturday, February 23 at Dale United Methodist Church from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Address: 143 East Lake St., Middletown, DE 19709
- Saturday, May 11 at Cranston Heights Fire Company from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Saturday, August 10 at Cranston Heights Fire Company from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Saturday, November at 2 Cranston Heights Fire Company from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
SPANISH LANGUAGE SEMINARS:
- Wednesday, February 27 at Latin American Community Center 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
403 North Van Buren Street, Wilmington, DE 19805
- Wednesday, August 7 at Latin American Community Center from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 6 at Latin American Community Center from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday, February 17 from 1-4 p.m. at 2115 Menser Way, Wilmington, DE 19802
- Sunday, February 24 from 1-4 p.m. at 2115 Menser Way, Wilmington, DE 19802
Recently, Habitat has seen a decrease in potential Partner Families, which Beverly Ward, Director of Family Services for Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County says is a result of, “homeowners counting themselves out before they even fully understand the qualifications for our program. We are here for the families; if an interested family doesn’t qualify on the first try, we tell them what they need to do in order to qualify in the future. We currently have four partner families who followed our suggestions and were approved the second time they applied.”
Five years ago, Habitat expanded their building area and constructed several houses in Middletown, DE, which Ward describes as a “high-demand area.” With 15 more houses in the works in Middletown and 11 in Wilmington within the next year and a half, there is ample opportunity for interested families to become first-time homeowners. “Coming to one of our Homeownership Seminars is a great way for interested families to gain more insight into what we do and how to qualify,” says Ward. “For many families it’s the first step to achieving the American dream of homeownership, all with a 0% interest mortgage.” Homeowners project to save over $92,000 over the length of the mortgage. Attending a seminar is required to receive a homeownership application.